Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)
This visa is for employers who want to sponsor approved skilled workers on a temporary visa. Employers have an option to nominate a number of positions for different occupations under the same sponsorship application.
457 Temporary Work Visa
For people who are well qualified and hold university qualification or trade qualifications and are experienced in their field are suited for this visa. This visa helps to meet Australia’s skills shortages and gives successful applicants permanent residence.
3 months to 4 years.
As an Employee you need to meet the following requirements:
- Meet the skill requirements for the nominated occupation.
- Be nominated to work in an approved occupation on the Skilled Occupation Lists.
- Meet registration and licensing obligations.
- Speak vocational English have been nominated by an approved business.
For a Sponsor
A sponsor must be able to show that their business is a operating lawfully and has no relevant adverse information against the business.
Businesses in Australia must also prove their commitment to employing local labour. They should prove that they follow non-discriminatory recruitment practices.
- The highlight of this visa is that there is no age limit.
- The nominated occupation of yours must be on the list of approved occupations (SOL List from DIAC).
- Show evidence of your Qualifications, Skills and relevant Work Experience (Work References).
- Evidence of adequate health insurance for the duration of your stay in Australia
- Up-to-date Health examination.
- Minimum of English Level IELTS 5 in all components.
- Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)
Highly skilled workers
This type of visa helps employers to sponsor highly skilled workers. The businesses can thus fill the skilled vacancies in their business. There are two ways in which such vacancies can be filled:
- Skilled workers from overseas
- Temporary residents who are living and working in Australia.
3 months to 4 years.
As an Employer
- Employer must apply for approval as a standard business sponsor and nominate the position(s) to be undertaken in Australia by the overseas worker.
- The sponsor has to prove that they operate a lawful, reputable business in Australia, the sponsorship that they are wanting will benefit Australia and that they will be the direct employer of the applicant.
- There must be a need for a paid overseas employee in a full-time position and the position must be on the list of approved occupations.
- The employer must specify the kind of tasks the employee will need to perform and what experience and skills are required.
- The employer must also show that they will pay the employee the minimum salary specified by the government for migration purposes. They also have to accept certain obligations towards the employee including providing acceptable working conditions.
After this is done, the overseas employee applies for a visa to fill the nominated position.
As an Employee
- The employee needs to prove that they possess the qualifications, training, and experience that are necessary to fill the position in question.
- Qualifications and employment references are needed to be submitted.
- You may be required to undergo a skills assessment.
An employer can sponsor overseas employees on a term from 3 months to 4 years; which is temporary in nature. Permanent residency also can be applied for. Requirements for a permanent visa are very similar but more stringent than for the temporary visa. The permanent visa the applicant must be under 45 years, which is not mandatory if you are applying for a temporary visa.
There are three main streams for the 186 visa:
- First stream is the Direct Entry Stream is for applicants nominated by an Australian employer, who have the necessary skills for an occupation found on the relevant skilled occupation list and have at least three years of relevant work experience.
- The second stream is the Labour Agreement Stream is for applicants sponsored by an employer who has a labour agreement.
- The third stream is the Temporary Residence Transition which is for 457/TSS holders who have worked with their nominating employer full-time for at least three years before being nominated for this visa and formally qualified in the relevant occupation.
186 visa conditions
- A subclass 186 visa will allow you to stay in Australia indefinitely to work and study.
- 186 visa will enable you to enroll in Medicare, Australia’s public health care scheme.
- Eligible to sponsor family members to join you in Australia.
- Allows you to travel to and from Australia for up to five years. In case one wishes to travel after the five years, a Resident Return Visa is needed to re-enter Australia as a permanent resident. You need to apply for the same. It is easy to apply with the help of a migration agent.
Direct Entry - For employers
Each application will require the following:
- Applicant’s employment contract, proof that your business is actively and lawfully operating.
- Letter of support from the accountant of your company and a current lease agreement.
- Showing either an audited balance sheet and profit and loss statement for the last two financial years or business tax returns, and associated tax assessment notices for the previous fiscal year might be needed.
- Proof you have a genuine need for a paid employee, detailed organization structure chart, detailed position description including specified tasks and duties of the position may be needed.
The following also might be needed:
Evidence that proves that the position is currently occupied by a temporary resident, proof of an increase in activity, appropriate market research, business plans detailing proposed expansion and timelines. Necessary documentation which proves that you will be paying the annual market salary rate.
Required list for documents from applicants:
- Identity documents
- Licencing, registration or membership
- Provide evidence of any licence, registration or professional affiliation mandatory to perform the nominated occupation.
- Skills and qualification documents
- A national ID card (if applicable)
- Marriage certificate
- Documents that prove your skills and qualifications, this can be certificates, diplomas.
- English language documents
- To prove you have competent English you must provide evidence that you have obtained the following English Language test results: IELTS – at least 6 for each of the four components; PTE – at least 50 for each of the four components
- The test must be within three years before the date of application.
- Health documents
- Character documents
- Australian police certificate (If you have spent a total of 12 months or more in Australia in the recent ten years since you turned 16).
- Overseas police certificate from every country, including your home country, where you spent a total of 12 months or more in the last ten years since you turned 16.
- Birth certificate
- If you are in a relationship, provide their identity documents, character documents, marriage certificate/or enough documents to prove your partner has been in a de facto relationship with you for at least 12 months before you apply. To determine whether you qualify for a de facto relationship, you must provide evidence such as joint bank account statements, joint leases, documents that show you have both lived at the same address.
- Must also provide evidence that they have functional English.
- Birth certificate
Temporary Residence Transition Stream
You must have relevant work experience – the employer must have sponsored you to work full time on your 482 visa or subclass 457 for at least three of the four years before nominating you for the 186 visa. It would be best if you were appointed by the employer who sponsored your temporary work visa.
186 visa obligations
- From the time the visa is granted, you can travel to and from Australia for up to 5 years. After this period, you will need a Resident Return Visa to re-enter as a permanent resident.
You and your family members must obey all Australian laws.
- You agree to begin your employment within six months of entering Australia if visa is granted outside Australia. The visa grant date is applicable if visa is granted in Australia.
186 visa English requirements
- Evidence that you have obtained the following English Language test results:
IELTS – at least 6 for each of the four components; PTE – at least 50 for each of the four parts. The test must be within three years before the date of application.
186 visa processing time
Processing times can vary and may fluctuate based on the application numbers.
75% of applications for the direct entry stream are processed within five months, and 90% of applications within six months.
Temporary residence transition stream – 75% of applications are processed six months; 90% of applications are processed within nine months.
186 visa processing time after nomination approval
The Department of Home Affairs assesses each application on a case-by-case basis, and the processing times can change due to individual circumstances, including but are not limited to:
- Citizenship applications, the time taken to attend a Citizenship Ceremony or receive a Citizenship Certificate.
- Time taken to receive additional information from external agencies, particularly concerning health, character, and national security requirements, how quickly you reply to any requests for further information
- Time taken to perform necessary checks on the supporting information provided
- For permanent migration visa applications, the number of places is available in the migration programme.
Employer Sponsored Workers
This visa is for workers sponsored by an employer with recognized skills.
Permanent: Australian employers can use this visa to sponsor skilled workers in specific occupations required in Australia.
Temporary: Temporary vacancies in particular occupations that are required to be filled are granted this visa. It is granted for employers to employ approved skilled workers. Eventually, this can lead to eligibility for a permanent visa.